Specialized announced their newest eBike yesterday, on March 28, 2012. Though it may not be available in the US market (too fast) just yet, the new Specialized Turbo eBike is simply an example of the latest state of the art electric bicycle technology available! Even if you aren't into eBikes, the Specialized Turbo electric bike may change your mind and make you reconsider if an eBike should be in your future!
This bike would be perfect for riding from Wailea or Kehei to Kapalua. Or, for a fast bike ride on the Pali from Lahaina to Maalea. I think it would be a blast to ride this on the Lahaina to Olowalu petroglyph bike ride. Though, I'm not certain how well the Turbo electric bike tires would perform on the off road section portion of the petroglyph ride.
We've captured a few images of the new Specialzed Turbo eBike and summarized the specs below. Someday, perhaps the Specialized Turbo eBike will for sale at our Lahaina bike shop or included in our Maui bike rental fleet! Wouldn't this be a great ride for commuting by bicycle on Maui?
Watch this Specialized Turbo eBike video and then review the Specialized Turbo eBike tech specs following the videos:
Specialized Europe Urban Bikes Product Manager Discusses How Specialized Designed the bike:
Check out these details and then read on for more Turbo eBike 'Technical Bike Specs':
- Incredibly burly yet sleek and racy alloy frame with performance geo designed for high-speed riding with tapered head tube, fully-integrated down tube battery, internal routing, thru-axle dropouts and full fender/rack mounts.
- Over sized alloy fork with tapered 1-1/8" to 1-1/2" steerer and Q15 thru-axle dropout is strong and responsive—even at 45kph.
- Magura MT Carbon hydraulic brakes with carbon levers/clamps and 180mm rotors provide huge braking power and great modulation; provide regenerative charge to battery when engaged.
- Direct Drive rear hub motor provides uber efficient power directly where it counts—at the rear wheel—for maximum push and efficiency at both full Turbo speed and on slow hill climbs.
- Wireless interface unit with illuminated display to show assist level, battery status, light on/off switch as well as normal bike computer features like speed, time and distance. Illuminated grip remote switch to adjust power level.
- Finest quality Li-Ion battery, optimized for our specific motor, pulls maximum power from each cell for outstanding performance and highest efficiency; 342Wh capacity, specific internal cooling system, superfast charging times.
Specialized Turbo Electric Bike Technical Specs:
- Frame: Turbo alloy, smooth welding, fully-integrated down tube battery, internal cable routing, 700c, tapered HT, X12 thru-axle dropout, full fender/rack mounts.
- Fork: Turbo custom alloy fork, tapered steerer, Q15 axle dropout, fender eyelets and lowrider mounts
- Headset: 1-1/8" Campy style upper cartridge bearing, 1-1/2" lower integrated.
- Stem: Crankbrothers Cobalt, alloy, custom polished ano black
- Handlebars: Flat top riser bar, alloy, 680mm wide, oversized 31.8mm, polished black finish
- Grips: BG XCT lock-on grip, integrated right side remote
- Front Brake: Magura MT Carbon hydraulic disc, one piece forged caliper, 180mm Storm rotor
- Rear Brake: Magura MT Carbon hydraulic disc, one piece forged caliper, 180mm Storm rotor, integrated Switch to activate regenerative braking
- Brake Levers: Magura MT Carbon hydraulic disc, carbon 2-finger levers, carbon clamp, right side rear plate for shift mix, reach adjust.
- Rear Derailleur: SRAM X0, 10-speed, long cage
- Shift Levers: SRAM DoubleTap flat bar trigger, 10-speed (right side only), direct mount to shift mix
- Cassette: SRAM PG 1030, 10-speed, 11-36, black finish
- Chain: KMC X10 NP/vivid black
- Crankset: FSA Gossamer Turbo BB30, alloy, 1x10, 110mm BCD, 386 Mega Evo BB, 4mm carbon guard, includes BB tool
- Chainrings: Bottom Bracket. FSA 386 Mega Evo outer-style
- Pedals: SBC-10 Platform pedals, 9/16" axle, SC bearing/bushing system
- Rims: Jalco DD32, 622x26c, double-wall alloy disc, non-eyelet, 36-hole
- Front Hub: Formula SP9177, alloy bolt-on disc, 15mm thru-axle, hi-low machined flange, 36-hole
- Front: DT Champion stainless steel, 2,0mm; Rear: DT Alpine, stainless steel, 2.34/2.0mm
- Front Tire: Specialized Electrak, 700x45c,wire bead, Armadillo protection, 60TPI
- Rear Tire: Specialized Electrak, 700x45c,wire bead, Armadillo protection, 60TPI
- Inner Tubes: Kenda PV 32, presta
- Saddle: Specialized Body Geometry Targa Pro, 155mm, carbon rails
- Seat Post: Specialized Turbo, carbon, special clamping hardware for carbon rails, 30,9mm, 400mm
- Seat Binder: JD seat clamp, anodized black
- User Interface/Remote: Turbo wireless user interface, illuminated display, wireless remote thumb control, integrated grip mount
- Battery: Turbo Integrated down tube battery, self-locking key release, on-board or outside bike charge capable, LED power indicators, start up diagnostic feature, magnetic connectors, 432 Wh capacity
- Charger: SBC Turbo quick-charge, magnetic connectors, top-view LED indicator, custom fanless design for total silence, 2 hours for full charge
Would you buy the Specialized Turbo eBike? Would you rent it on Maui if we included it in our rental fleet? Use the comments section below to let us know your thoughts on electric bikes and on the new Specialized Turbo eBike.
Headed to Maui for a Bike Vacation. Be sure to subscribe to our Maui Bicycling blog or reserve a Maui bike rental from West Maui Cycles: